Growth Assignment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://growthassignment.forumotion.com

Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust Empty Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:24 pm
Module 1 Discussion Forum

Reminder Regarding Postings:
You are required to write AT LEAST ONE (1) POST each Module in response to the Growth Assignment. This post is due Friday December 27th by 5pm.

You are required to write AT LEAST TWO (2) RESPONSES each module to another's post in the discussion forums. These posts are due Wednesday January 10th by 5pm. In your response, you can ask questions about the content, clarify what someone wrote, or share some constructive feedback on the topic.

Sherry and I will be moderating the forum and reviewing posts regularly.

PLEASE BE RESEPECTFUL:
Avoid using employee/client names
Avoid posting confidential or personal information
Avoid sarcasm, put downs, jokes at the expense of others (think S&PA 1)
Offer suggestions or experiences
Be solution oriented
Acknowledge we are all growing and learning at all walks of life

Topic: (please answer all of the following questions)

1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month?

2.)What was successful about the action you took? How do you know?

3.) What did you find challenging about taking this action(s)?

4.)What was the reaction of your staff/team?

5.) What is your plan going forward to sustain these efforts?
cmmanoukian

Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust Empty Re: Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm
1. What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month?
I made a concerted effort to promote face time with my staff. I sometimes offered incentive (ex: pizza as a reward for diligence and quality of service) and other times built home visits -at the times that I knew staff and the individuals we serve would be home- into the structure of my schedule (as opposed to dropping by at random or when convenient).

2. What was successful about the action you took? How do you know?
I certainly saw more staff than I would consider typical. This allowed me to solicit feedback in a more personal manner and improve upon the quality of service I deliver for staff (promote consistency, provide corrective feedback using information gathered, offer sincere "thank you's," etc.), as well as for individuals served.

3. What did you find challenging about taking this action(s)?
As the nature of our work is fluid, it can be difficult to project for and build this sort of structure into my routine. I have direct supervision over 7 homes, so it is also incredibly challenging to completely and fully "make the rounds," if you will. In general, because our staff work in relative isolation (in the community, often times on solo shifts & across homes), it can be difficult to establish a high degree of buy-in.

4. What was the reaction of your staff/team?
Anecdotally, I would say that it was a positive reaction from staff.

5. What is your plan going forward to sustain these efforts?
Making a genuine effort to write structured times for home visits into my planner. Once something hits the planner, barring extraordinary circumstances, it generally gets done!
hnguyen

Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust Empty Re: Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:41 pm
1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month?
- This past month I have been spending a lot of my time focusing on training one of my new PC’s. Usually when I am training a new PC I try to be as available as I can to support them so that they don’t feel too overwhelmed with all of the tasks and information given to them. I think by taking time to really support and be there for them it helps create a trusting relationship which results in them trusting the team and then wanting to reciprocate that same support to their team and staff.
2.) What was successful about the action you took? How do you know?
- I think by being available to answer questions, they feel supported and feel comfortable communicating with me. It also helps them feel like there are people there to support them and they are not in it alone.
-I think sometimes this can be difficult because you feel like you’re working non-stop, but I am willing to work as hard as I need to for my staff to feel supported so that it then trickles down to their staff.
4.) What was the reaction of your staff/team?
- I think that it shows that she likes being a part of the team and has voiced that she likes working for this organization. This is a very hard job, so it’s really good to hear that even though it is difficult, their reaction is still positive and there’s a lot of excitement to continue learning their role.
-I have an open door policy where my staff can come and talk to me at any time. Whether it’s them needing someone to listen to their frustrations, problem solving ideas or just any general questions they may have. I plan on continuing this open line of communication because it shows that when they are feeling supported, they are able to make their staff feel supported.
Admin
Admin

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:32 pm
Hi Everyone! Looking forward to seeing what happened with your growth assignments! Some quick feedback for people who have posted:

To both Chase and Ha:
Thanks for being the pioneers and the first to post! I like how you were willing to share some of the struggles in this process, and how you were able to see that while these shifts can be challenging, that you already see positive responses. Chase: I really appreciated how you are working your schedule to have more direct contact with staff. Ha: I really like how you are aware that how you support your PCs helps them learn how to support their own staff.
rtabin

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:05 am
This past month, in order to improve the workplace culture, I decided to put people first. The steps that I took are that I made sure I am mentor-minded, that I show care and concern for all of my staff by introducing myself to them as their supervisor, but also a co-worker and/or a friend. I informed them that they may contact me by text, phone call, or email. If I am available during non-work hours, I will be there to help.

With the action I took, I know this was successful, because my staff were able to express their questions, concerns, opinions, suggestions, etc. to be able to unlock their human potential. My hope is that no matter how small or big of a contribution they may bring to the table, this will enable us to produce the best outcome for themselves or others.

What I found challenging with the action that I decided to take is that not everyone felt comfortable expressing what is on their mind despite being given the opportunity to do so. From my personal experience, there are many factors into this which can include, worrying who else will the information be relayed to or input being put down or rejected. Also, I have noticed that their response may be biased towards what they think I would or would not like to hear.

The reaction of my staff was excitement and uncertainty, because I am their supervisor/co-worker/friend that can potentially help make changes in regards to their questions, concerns, opinions, suggestions, etc.

There is always room for improvement. My plan moving forward will be planning to meet with my staff individually where they are given privacy and enough time to express what they want. Also, I can have them anonymously turn in a piece of paper with their questions or concerns.
sbrunner

Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust Empty Building a Culture of Respect and Trust

Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:49 pm
The specific steps that I took to improve workplace culture this month was to focus on accountability. I did this by introducing a new agenda item to the Licensed program meeting. During the meeting we will review the previous week's call out and follow up on staff that require follow up because of repeated absences and late arrivals to shifts. I feel that it was successful because I received positive feedback from my staff during the meeting. They are all supportive of this idea. What I find challenging about this idea is going to be the follow up after we discuss it during the meetings. Going forward I will have to add the follow up to the agenda of each individual supervision meeting in order to ensure completion.
sbrunner

Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust Empty Building a culture of respect and trust

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:00 pm
The specific steps that I took to improve workplace culture this month was to focus on accountability. I did this by introducing a new agenda item to the Licensed program meeting. During the meeting we will review the previous week's call out and follow up on staff that require follow up because of repeated absences and late arrivals to shifts. I feel that it was successful because I received positive feedback from my staff during the meeting. They are all supportive of this idea. What I find challenging about this idea is going to be the follow up after we discuss it during the meetings. Going forward I will have to add the follow up to the agenda of each individual supervision meeting in order to ensure completion.
cmmanoukian

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:28 pm
Love the idea, Shannon! On a handful of occasions, we, as a leadership team, have discussed the culture that is created and the precedent that is set by not holding folks accountable...including ourselves! It's likely to be a slow process, of course, but building this dialogue into the structure of your meeting will almost assuredly have a quantifiably (very important!) positive, long-term impact! Keep at it Smile
rpopke

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:57 pm
1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month? My goal is to work on appreciation and make it direct, specific and do it in a timely manner.

2.)What was successful about the action you took? How do you know? I was intentional about giving appreciation and the more I did it, the easier it came.

3.) What did you find challenging about taking this action(s)? I am thankful and appreciative in my head all day long! Getting it out on paper, in a text, email or directly takes time and unfortunately it gets pushed down on my to do list.

4.)What was the reaction of your staff/team? I didn't see any specific reaction just yet but I am hoping it increases job satisfaction, strengthens my relationship with my team and encourages my team to appreciate their team. I am hoping this ultimately creates a shift in culture that focuses on the strengths of our staff and encourages them to be their best.

5.) What is your plan going forward to sustain these efforts? I've set a calendar reminder to assist me in prioritizing appreciation.
sbrunner

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:20 pm
Rebecca,

I like that you wrote that you are appreciative in your head all day long. I do the same thing- I forget about it and it gets pushed down my to do list. It's something that I have to be intentional about too.
sbrunner

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:24 pm
Chase,
I like the idea of making an effort to increase face time with your staff. I try to do this too as much as possible and it does take an effort due to schedules. I have also ahd to use incentives such as food- always a great motivator.
atamkun

Buidling A Culture of Respect & Trust Empty Growth Assignment

Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:22 pm
I have tried to do a better job with giving not only corrective feedback, but positive feedback when I catch staff doing a good job. I have also tried to be in the homes more at different times to have a presence and get to talk to staff in person to see what they need.

Staff seemed to really appreciate when I gave them positive feedback. I know because they reacted with smiles or thank you.

With such a busy schedule and our clients going to program during the day, it can be hard to find time to go into the homes. It has been difficult to find time to visit all staff since some may only work mornings or overnights.

They were able to give me more feedback than they might over texting or email. They seemed appreciative.

I will block out time to visit the homes and make sure I don’t have anything scheduled during those planned hours.
rpopke

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Annika,

I really like your focus of giving feedback face to face and being present in the homes. I think you'll find this will go a long way to solidifying those positive relationships you've started with your staff and hopefully lead to increased job satisfaction and reduce turnover. Carving out the time is a struggle and making sure the staff that work outside of normal business hours are also getting your attention can be hard. Those staff often felt overlooked and not part of the team. Good work trying to figure this out and make sure they feel included in the process.
KBooth

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:48 pm
Topic: (please answer all of the following questions)

Continued to ensure my team has a voice, they know they are heard and their ideas and concerns are always addressed. This is accomplished by active listening, addressing concerns head on, and taking the many creative, solid ideas and sharing with the Leadership team immediately and move forward with implementing these ideas if approved by the team.

2.)What was successful about the action you took? How do you know? The actions continue to be successful as we have implemented several ideas from our Foothill team members and utilize house ideas as well.  Also, taking action with specific concerns and following up. This has encouraged more team members to speak up with ideas and concerns.

3.) What did you find challenging about taking this action(s)? Ensuring all team members felt they had a chance to speak, taking time to listen regardless of how busy I am.  The team comes first.

4.)What was the reaction of your staff/team? Sharing the appreciation they had in feeling like they are finally being heard.

5.) What is your plan going forward to sustain these efforts? Always ensure I am accessible regardless of the hour of day and continue to ensure we encourage All team members to share their ideas, regardless of whether we use their ideas or not.
Admin
Admin

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:44 pm
Hi everyone!

I am really loving how you are embracing the Growth Assignments, and really appreciate the feedback you are giving to one another. Carving out time seems like one of the themes. What do you all think about a brainstorming some ways to put thought into action. Time is an interesting concept... often more about competing priorities, and overcoming the Overwhelm of a To Do list? We could explore resolve barriers to action and/or find dedicated time to do these important/meaningful things that seem to fall through. For example, maybe 10-15 minutes during a leadership meeting to, for example, write and send staff appreciations...?
hnguyen

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:56 pm
Hi Shannon,

I think this is great that you're focusing on accountability! I also believe that accountability is extremely important in making staff understand ones expectations and when they are being followed up right after they did something it has more meaning to the individual in seeing how that affected the team.
hnguyen

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:00 pm
Rebecca,

I definitely feel the same way as you. I am always extremely grateful and appreciative of everything others do for me but I don't always say it or put it down in writing for those to see. This is also a goal that I want to work on moving forward since I want others to know how much I appreciate their hard work.
rtabin

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 pm
Rebecca,

I like what you are working on a lot! It is so much easier to see someone's mistakes than recognize what they have and can positively contribute to the whole well-being of an organization. People tend to be more inspired and motivated to not be mediocre and give their best when they are appreciated.
rtabin

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Ha,

Your dedication shows, because although you feel like you are working non-stop, you are willing to work as hard as you need to for your staff to feel supported. Setting this good example then causes your staff to work as hard as they need to for their staff. After all, we are a team and a team in interdependent on each other for the best outcome.

areece

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 pm

- I made myself more aware of how I should lead by example as well as smiling at my team more when I'm present in the home or on the floor with them.

- When leading by example, I realized the difference it makes when interacting with team members because then they do in fact feel more comfortable conveying their concerns and/or viewpoints on different topics surrounding the work environment. Instead of speaking outright about how I may feel about something internally, I made sure to enter the workplace on a positive note and treated everyone fairly which helped my team members see me as being objective rather than subjective when issues arose.

- I'm only human and there are some days where I do just want to express my frustrations like others do and/or can. There have been a few moments and/or days where I wasn't in the best mood and I did want to go in, finish my shift, and go home without saying much to anyone else but if I were to do that, my team would see it and be affected by my behavior.

- Again, more team members expressed how they felt comfortable speaking with me about workplace concerns and/or issues. Some of them acknowledged that they are aware that I'm in their corner and that I have their best interests in mind as well as those we support.

- I think everyday is going to bring forth new challenges. To sustain these efforts, I believe i will have to do some self talk along the way to remind myself of why I'm here, why I want to be here, and the impact I am making while I'm here.
areece

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:58 pm
Rebecca,

I loved the concept that you're working on to show appreciation to your team members. This is something that I try and do face to face through casual conversation but I have yet to document all of my teams successes on paper because sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day and I can be forgetful at times. Keep up the great work as always!
areece

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:01 pm
Chase,

I had forgotten how difficult it was to manage more than 1 home as it's been years since I was in SLS so I applaud you my friend for making the effort to be more present for your team members and the clients you support. I'm sure your team can see the effort you're putting it and, as a result, their productivity is sure to increase if it hasn't already. Keep being awesome!
njust1

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 pm
I made a conscious effort to stop and really listen to staff when they needed to talk to me, regardless of how busy I was.

The staff felt appreciated and valued. I felt good about being present for them. The staff thanked me for listening and said they appreciated me taking the time to do so. We both walked away with smiles.

Being able to completely drop what I was in the middle of for an unknown amount of time.

4.)What was the reaction of your staff/team? They appeared surprised at first because I often will do a few other tasks while listening.

Continue to make a conscious effort to listen wholeheartedly to staff.
njust1

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:55 pm
Aysia,
I love what you said about making yourself more aware of smiling at your team more often. It seems like such a simple thing but really is important and makes a big difference.
njust1

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm
Rebecca,
What a great idea utilizing your calendar reminder to assist you in prioritizing appreciation!!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum