Growth Assignment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://growthassignment.forumotion.com

Supporting Your Team Empty Supporting Your Team

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:28 am
Reminder Regarding Postings:
You are required to write AT LEAST ONE (1) POST each Module in response to the Growth Assignment. This post is due Friday March 6th by 5pm.

You are required to write AT LEAST TWO (2) RESPONSES each module to another's post in the discussion forums. These posts are due Monday March 16th by 5pm. In your response, you can ask questions about the content, clarify what someone wrote, or share some constructive feedback on the topic.

Sherry and I will be moderating the forum and reviewing posts regularly.

PLEASE BE RESEPECTFUL:
Avoid using employee/client names
Avoid posting confidential or personal information
Avoid sarcasm, put downs, jokes at the expense of others (think S&PA 1)
Offer suggestions or experiences
Be solution oriented
Acknowledge we are all growing and learning at all walks of life

Module 3 prompt: Think about your own team and some needs or issues you may have identified. List some potential actions that you could initiate using the four strategies we discussed.

Topic: (please answer all of the following questions)

1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month based on the four strategies we discussed??

2.)What was successful about the action you took? How do you know?

3.) What did you find challenging about taking this action(s)?

4.)What was the reaction of your staff/team?

5.) What is your plan going forward to sustain these efforts?

6.) What question do you have for the group about this topic?
ldonohoe

Supporting Your Team Empty Re: Supporting Your Team

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:37 pm
1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month based on the four strategies we discussed?

In a staff meeting I tried relationship building by having them tell me one thing about themselves and ask one thing about me.

I found the action helpful to breaking the ice. Staff were wanting to tell me things about themselves. The rest of the house meeting went really smoothly, there was a good back-and-forth rapport where appropriate.

I didn’t find it challenging. I enjoyed getting to know my staff a little better.

Their reaction was positive, immediately telling me an interesting thing about themselves. They seemed to enjoy getting to know something about me as well.

I want to ask my staff how they are doing, remember factoids about their lives and ask them specifics regarding those things. I feel that is a good way to show that I acknowledge them and care.

What are some other ways I can learn about my staff while maintaining healthy and appropriate boundaries, but to show I have an interest in them as fellow humans?
rtabin

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:38 pm
1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month based on the four strategies we discussed?? The specific step that I took to improve the workplace culture this past month would be making sure that I implement the On-boarding Initiative by People Operations. Through this implementation, I am able to Build Relationships (one of the four strategies) with our new employees at the start of their journey here at Devereux.

2.)What was successful about the action you took? How do you know? With the action that I took, I know that it was successful, because each staff that I have checked in with have said that they feel welcomed and supported. That response in return makes me feel that I am able to do my job and that I am able to display one of the many duties a supervisor is supposed to be or have.

3.) What did you find challenging about taking this action(s)? What’s challenging is not knowing how to exactly answer their questions when I am still learning myself. However, the fact that I have my SLS team to rely on and gather the best answer with helps tremendously.

4.)What was the reaction of your staff/team? The reaction of my staff was that they were surprised that I cared about who they are, what is going on with personal and work life, and what their needs are. They are not just thrown into the field to figure out how we provide the best care we work so hard to accomplish. They are prepared and supported.

5.) What is your plan going forward to sustain these efforts? My plan is to continue implementing the On-boarding Initiative. Not only because it is required of me, but because both from my and the staff's point of view, it is nice to know that someone cares about me and how well I can be for others.

6.) What question do you have for the group about this topic? After the On-boarding Initiative process, what other ideas do you guys have in continuing to build relationships with our staff?
atamkun

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:59 pm
Hi Lisa,
What a fun thing to do during meetings! Something that doesn't blur boundaries or make staff uncomfortable, while still getting to know them could be asking them what they look for in a supervisor (qualities, etc) and what the best way to support them is! We are all very different in how we learn or are so it feels good to be able to express what works best for them (although not always doable for us).

Smile Annika
atamkun

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:04 pm
Hi Rexsia,
I'm so glad you got such a positive response from staff and that they voiced good feelings afterwards. Do you maintain these check ins after initial onboardings? Maybe setting time aside to just check in on staff outside of normal performance feedback/house meetings would be a good idea to nurture those relationships!

Smile Annika
atamkun

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm
1.) What specific step(s) did you take to improve the workplace culture this past month based on the four strategies we discussed??
I have been trying to make an effort to check in with staff more frequently to ask how they are doing overall and if there is anything I can do to support- while still keeping it work related and realistic.

Staff seemed to like me checking in, which I can tell by them saying thank you and opening up.

It's incredibly difficult to connect given the current climate (covid) so I haven't had a lot of the same opportunities to interact as I did before and checking in over the phone doesn't seem as personal.

As stated above, they were appreciative and thankful Smile

I would like to try to get to a couple check ins per week and to cover all staff. Be it even just a text.

I know this is far delayed, but how do you strive to connect with your staff given the current state of the world?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum